We are so happy to hear you’re interested in entering the Virtual Creative Arts Competition! We’re here to help, check out our top tips to help make entering your artwork online a breeze!
How to Enter Online:
- Visit our website to familiarize yourself with our competitions being offered.
- Sign up for our newsletter (accessible from our main page), to get a reminder email when we will begin accepting entries, currently scheduled for Monday January 4th, 2021.
Online Entry Guidelines:
- Fit entry to frame and centre so item is clearly visible
- Take photos on a white or neutral background if possible, with good lighting (blank white paper works great as a background if you don’t have neutral walls)
- Use a high quality camera (new cell phone photos should be high enough)
- Submit only one item per photo
- Take your photo during daylight hours to avoid shadows, pick an area with a lot of natural light, or photograph your item outside
Tips on Photographing Art:
- Have your camera at the same angle as your artwork is and focus on dead center of the work (stand back a few feet and zoom in to edges of artwork if possible). Use a tripod to reduce or eliminate blur from camera shake. If you are too close you will create a halo of blur around the focused area. In other words some of the artwork, probably the center, will be in focus and the outer edges will be out of focus.
- Some pieces photograph best by laying them on the ground and shooting down at them. Use a tripod to keep the camera steady.
- Indoor lighting casts a yellow hue unless you are using natural light from a window, then it will be blue. Outdoor lighting casts a blue hue unless you have direct (afternoon) sun on the subject; then it will be a yellow hue.
- Use the grid feature on most phones to help centre your piece and avoid skewed angles.
- Reduce glare by turning off the flash and adjusting your angle