WESTERN FAIR DISTRICT JOB DESCRIPTION- Sous Chef – Full Time
Get to Know Western Fair District:
Through its people, facilities and events, Western Fair District (WFD) is a leading year-round agri-food organization, focusing on community, agri-food industry supports and education, the annual fair, consumer/trade events, horseracing, and entertainment & recreation for residents of the city and far beyond.
The District is a unique, multi-faceted, historic, and community-based, not for profit, in the heart of Old East Village, in London, Ontario. It offers several complexes onsite, providing many unique activities all of which have a major impact on the local economy, and contribute to our community in a wide variety of ways. The annual Western Fair is near and dear to the community and is the Association’s signature event, popular consumer/trade shows make their home in the Agriplex, a first-class harness horse racetrack, award winning Farmer’s and Artisan’s Market, industry leading Sports Centre, great dining & banquet facilities embracing local food and drink, a new vermiculture centre called The Wormery, and an agri-food business and resource hub fondly known as The Grove.
Our tight-knit team is creative and passionate, and regularly interacts with one another to create high-quality experiences in several business units. As a not-for-profit Association, with deep roots in agriculture and community, WFD has evolved over a century-and-a-half because of its dedicated team culture, committed to honouring tradition, while continually innovating and evolving to meet the needs of the agriculture industry and the communities we serve.
What we are looking for:
We are currently seeking a passionate, creative, and highly motivated Sous Chef with a proven capability to multi-task and work well under pressure. Our ideal candidate displays strong organizational skills, while demonstrating strong communication leadership skills.
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Executive Head Chef and the Executive Sous Chef with the daily operation of the back of house across the district. This role is also responsible for BOH execution and upholding the levels of quality and consistency expected, across the district. You will be playing an important role in prep, kitchen organization, cleaning, ordering, inventory, and training & development. Alongside the Executive Head Chef and Executive Sous Chef, you will support the staff day to day and play a big part in coaching and development.
- Assist in managing the day to day operations of entire BOH operations. Scope includes but is not limited to:
o Top of Fair Restaurant
o WFD Catering
o Concession outlets (Homestretch, Backstretch, Agriplex, annual Western Fair)
o Sports Centre
o Season’d Bistro and Cafe
o Annual Western Fair
o Pop-Up Events
- Maintain a visual presence across all F&B outlets and model WFD mission, vision, and values
- Oversee and lead kitchen prep for all outlets across the district
- Enforce and maintain BOH systems, standards, and policies
- Kitchen cleanliness (floor to ceiling) across entire district
- Assist Executive Head Chef and Executive Sous Chef with daily tasks
- Be a champion for the BOH staff and meet regularly with Executive Head Chef and Executive Sous Chef to discuss staff development
- Assist Executive Head Chef and Executive Sous Chef in menu development. Submit menu ideas and brainstorm regularly
- Oversee BOH training and mentor BOH staff under you
- Assist with inventory control, inputting invoices, ordering, and receiving
- Manage relationships with Market Vendors
- You are PASSIONATE about food, beverage, service, and people
- You are TEAM ORIENTED LEADER with a focus on HARMONY
- You are IMAGINATIVE and CREATIVE
- You believe in taking OWNERSHIP of your work.
- You believe in creating a CARING environment.
- You are COURAGEOUS in your ability to self-reflect, develop, and grow as a member of a committed team.
How is Success Defined in this role:
- Positive retention rates amongst all BOH Team Members & supervisors
- Positive trends in sick calls amongst BOH Team Members
- Positive results in comment card and guest feedback & social media scores in terms of food quality/consistency
- Positive trend in food quality and prep time efficiency
- Growth in all food sales segments
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3+ years in a leadership or supervisory role in a multi-unit Food Service environment
- Extensive knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits.
- Food Handler and Smart Serve Certifications.
- Able to respond quickly and make decisions in dynamic and changing circumstances
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time
- Available evenings, weekends, and holidays
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Western Fair District is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Western Fair District provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, human resources will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.