WESTERN FAIR DISTRICT
JOB DESCRIPTION – Payroll and Human Resources Coordinator
Reports to: Human Resources Manager
Western Fair District:
We want you to become a part of our dynamic organization! We are a not-for-profit Agricultural Society that encourages opportunity, inclusivity, positivity, and great customer experiences! We have been around for more than 150 years and are known for our signature event, the annual Western Fair. But we offer much more, including our internationally recognized Sports Centre and Raceway, London’s best Market, The Grove our agri-food hub, and home to world-class consumer and trade shows and events…. plus, much more!
The Payroll and Human Resources Coordinator will assist with the administration of the day-to- day functions and duties of the Human Resources Department. The Payroll and Human Resources Coordinator carries out responsibilities in some or all the following functional areas: employment, employee relations, training and development, compensation, workplace health & safety and office administration. This role is also responsible for the planning and organizing the operation of the Payroll department, and developing and implementing payroll policies, which establish the direction to be taken by the Payroll department at WFD. A high degree of confidentiality and professionalism is required for the role.
- Support Human Resources Manager with all HR functions
- Maintain confidentiality when handling sensitive data and information.
- Perform full-cycle recruitment and selection processes - work closely with the relevant manager including developing position descriptions, postings, interviews, assessments, reference checks, offer letters etc.
- Assist in operating the Community Access Program
- Respond to internal and external Human Resources related inquiries
- Assist with employee orientation and training
- Assist with policy development and documentation; employee relations; and employee communication
- Provide HR guidance on different HR subjects such as recruitment, employee relations, onboarding, training and development, performance management, health and wellness, compensation and recognition
- Focus on employee wellness and building employee culture
- HR Representative for the Joint Health & Safety Committee
- Assisting with the day-to-day efficient operation of the HR office
- Maintain accurate and up to date employee database and employee files (Ceridian)
- Meet with employees, as required, to resolve any issues
- Establish objectives for the payroll department and formulate payroll policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance to internal policy and Collective Agreement(s), calculating and remitting union dues on a monthly basis.
- Maintain continuous relationship with the CPA to be aware of the ever-changing policies and procedures
- Directly prepare/produce payroll related information for all staff, consisting of 3 separate companies (WFD, JV, RW)
- Examine and analyze payroll entries and documents (time sheet reports, payroll register reports) and other payroll related records and documents to ensure payroll recording accuracy and compliance with established standards, procedures, legislation and controls.
- Administer payroll systems and prepare payroll information for employees as well as the annual Western Fair
- Develop and maintain payroll control procedures
- Respond to external agency questions
- Administer garnishees and third-party demands
- Ensure that all Federal and Provincial payments are completed
- Balance and produce T4s and related documentation through Ceridian
- Prepare and verify statements of earnings for employees indicating gross and net pay, and deductions such as taxes, union dues, benefit insurance and pension plans
- Provide information to employees on payroll matters
- Prepare and balance period-end reports
- Prepare and balance year-end reports (T4’s and company fiscal)
- Verify and process termination payments (i.e. pay in lieu of notices, severance pays, additional lump sums, retirement allowances, bonuses)
- Must comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Western Fair District Health & Safety Policy and Awareness Program/Safety Manual, all Western Fair District procedures and any other applicable legislation.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in Human Resources or a related field
- CHRP designation or working towards the designation
- 3-5 years progressive experience in related field
- Experience with Ceridian Dayforce an asset
- NPI Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certification an asset, or willing to obtain
- Knowledge of HR, Payroll & Benefits procedures/applications
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong understanding of employment legislation in Ontario
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Confidentiality Skills
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Western Fair District is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Western Fair District provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, human resources will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.