We’re Hiring: Marketing and Communications Manager
Get to Know Western Fair District:
Through its people, facilities and events, Western Fair District (WFD) is a leading year-round agri-food organization, focusing on community, agri-food industry supports and education, the annual fair, consumer/trade events, horse-racing, and entertainment & recreation for residents of the city and far beyond.
The District is a unique, multi-faceted, historic, and community-based, not for profit, in the heart of Old East Village, in London, Ontario. It offers several complexes onsite, providing many unique activities all of which have a major impact on the local economy, and contribute to our community in a wide variety of ways. The annual Western Fair is near and dear to the community and is the Association’s signature event, popular consumer/trade shows make their home in the Agriplex, a first-class harness horse racetrack, award winning Farmer’s and Artisan’s Market, industry leading Sports Centre, great dining & banquet facilities embracing local food and drink, a new vermiculture centre called The Wormery, and an agri-food business and resource hub fondly known as The Grove.
Our tight-knit team is creative and passionate, and regularly interacts with one another to create high-quality experiences in several business units. As a not-for-profit Association, with deep roots in agriculture and community, WFD has evolved over a century-and-a-half because of its dedicated team culture, committed to honouring tradition, while continually innovating and evolving to meet the needs of the agriculture industry and the communities we serve.
What we are looking for:
We are currently seeking a creative, fun, highly motivated Marketing & Communications Manager with a proven record of accomplishment leading and developing teams, executing, monitoring, and optimizing a variety of campaigns to launch new or enhance existing projects and events.
The Marketing & Communications Manager is accountable for oversight and management of the WFD marketing department. The individual will create and oversee the execution of a long-term marketing strategy for the WFD as well as managing the day-to-day marketing activities of their team, supporting the many business units of the organization which currently include: The Raceway and its events, The Sports Centre, The Market and its events, The Grove and its programming, Yuks Yuk’s Comedy Club, major and signature events like The Farm Show, The National Poultry Show, The Annual Western Fair, and other consumer events, various Food and Beverage facilities and events as well as Corporate Branding.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is also responsible for working with the Director of Engagement and Chief Executive Officer on a variety of corporate communications, including annual reports, public addresses, media releases, website management and more as relates to Western Fair District and the corporate affairs of the Western Fair Association, The WFA Raceway Corporation, and the Fair-City Joint Venture. The Marketing and Communications Manager is also responsible for building
and maintaining strong relationships with our customers and clients, as well as providing mentorship and coaching to fellow team members.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop annual marketing strategies for the Association and its business unit’s promotional/creative campaigns, brand management and corporate identity to align with strategic goals and objectives.
- Manage the design/development of new, innovative marketing projects and campaigns, and on-going maintenance & enhancements to the Districts marketing plan.
- Understand the short- and long-term goals of the business and drive the team towards the execution of those goals
- Manage project(s) execution to ensure adherence to budget, schedule and scope
- Responsible for the Districts website – design, content – first major project will be a redesign of the current site.
- Regularly communicate with stakeholders and clients on project status; and assess current or future business unit and project team needs and priorities
- Foster and develop strong relationships with clients and the members of your team to execute on deliverables efficiently and effectively
- Continually communicate the status, milestones, and deliverables of each assigned project to all project participants, stakeholders and senior team and maintain effective internal communications to ensure that all relevant functions of the organization are kept informed of marketing objectives.
- Assign tasks, duties and responsibilities to project teams and members and monitor performance.
- Initiate, review, or approve modifications to marketing project plans and campaigns.
- Prepare project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information, trends, customer research, market conditions and competitor information. Report on marketing’s analytics, return on investment and performance metrics.
- Work closely with media partners, marketing, and project teams to ensure effective management of online, social/digital media, radio, print and promotional marketing campaigns.
- Oversee the marketing budget and implement pricing and promotions strategies.
- Maintain and grow relationships with local and regional media to ensure the most effective messaging, positioning, and coverage of the Western Fair District.
- Continuously reviewing and assessing the tools and strategies used by the marketing team to remain current and relevant in our marketing approach.
Knowledge, Education & Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing & Communication, or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience in marketing.
- Agency experience preferred.
- High degree of professionalism with outstanding ability to work effectively and efficiently with internal colleagues and external clients at all levels of management.
- Ability to plan and manage several assignments at once and demonstrate initiative, flexibility, and good judgement.
- Detailed knowledge of Word, Excel, and various Google applications
- Understanding of various Digital Marketing tactics (e.g., SEO, PPC, Social, Email, etc.).
- Strong teamwork, organization, and communications skills.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to independently move projects forward, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Confident, consistent, decisive personality.
- Agriculture and community-based not for profit experience
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct role with integrity and respect.
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the Western Fair District.
- Abide by the policies and procedures of Western Fair District.
- Other duties as assigned to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Western Fair District.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to Human Resources at Western Fair District.
Closing Date is October 8, 2021
Why Join us
Be a part of one-of-a-kind exciting projects, working for a Not-for-Profit Agricultural Society that reinvests in its people and our community… all while having a little bit of fun!
We are a not-for-profit Agricultural Society that has deep roots in the City of London and southwestern Ontario. The ‘District’ is committed to providing experiences that enrich your life and the community and as part of our “not-for-profit” status, we reinvest our revenue surpluses into our staff, our facilities, and programming to meet the needs of our community. We give our employees the opportunity to grow professionally, and personally all while being a part of a team that is…
- Commitment to professional growth and development through training opportunities
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible work arrangements
- Engagement events
- Extended Health Benefits*
- Yearly fitness credit*
- Employer-matched defined-contribution pension program*
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
* For eligible employees
We’re over 150 years strong, and we traditionally acknowledge and share our thanks with our long service employees. Reward levels begin at 10 years and move up in 5-year increments. Employees of all service levels are significant, and we can say we have celebrated 30, 40, and 50-year service employees! Yes, that’s right!
Employees are encouraged to ask questions and be empowered to make decisions. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to create a stimulating and open workplace that promotes teamwork, fairness, respect, and diversity.
We also provide accommodations to employees with special needs. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, we will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.
From the beginning, we’ve brought people and communities together to celebrate what life has to offer. Agri-food, our community, and sustainability are all important parts of our past, present, and future. Our Change for Change program allows employees to donate a portion of their paycheck to their charity of choice, which we then match in contribution. One of our sustainability projects is The Wormery, it utilizes green waste, reduces emissions, and creates a natural fertilizer that promotes plant growth. Learn about The Wormery here
We invest in the development and growth of thousands of youth, students, local artists, performers, and athletes annually through various programs and facilities. (e.g. Rise2Fame, Learn To Skate, School Agri-Food Education, Day of Dreams, and more.)
CAP is our Community Access Program that makes a small difference in the lives of individuals and families who cannot access entertainment or events without a support person or are living on fixed incomes.
Our Donation Committee supports hundreds of local/regional non-profit organizations with donations, silent auction items, and gift cards to help them raise funds for the individual causes, for the betterment of the communities we serve.
We are committed to corporate social responsibility and is one of our strategic initiatives.