JOB DESCRIPTION- Line Cook
Department: Agri-Food, Food and Beverage
About food and beverage at the Western fair District:
The Western Fair District is evolving its Food & Beverage program in a big way. As an agricultural society, we are going back to our roots and are focusing on fresh, local, seasonal cuisine. This is your chance to be part of something big. We’re looking to re-invent our food & beverage outlets, open new concepts and create unique, genuine experiences for our guests through the lens of hospitality.
We are in the infancy of our evolution, and we are looking for strong, experienced, talented leaders to be part of that evolution. This is a great opportunity for an ambitious creative individual to help create unique dining destinations and unmatched hospitality experiences.
The Western Fair District is home to hundreds of food and beverage events each year. From Friday night at the races, and a local-focused farmer’s market cafe, to our annual Western Fair & Midway and a Four-Rink Sports Centre hosting international events, we do it all and we’re focused on doing even more. This is a great opportunity to be part of the team driving that change in a multi-outlet food and beverage organization contributing hundreds of millions of dollars in economic impact in the City of London.
Working under the direction of the Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, and a team of Chefs, you will oversee the preparation of ingredients and execution of completed dishes in outlets across The District. Cooks are the front-lines in the kitchen and you will leave your mark on every dish you plate and every ingredient you prep. You must obsess over quality of food and the guest experience at every opportunity. Beyond that, you will be a champion for our standards and procedures, ensuring uncompromised food quality and maintaining clean workspaces and an organized kitchen.
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, positive and upbeat attitude
- Use kitchen systems and tools (temp checks, prep list, cleaning list, etc)
- Accommodating and willing to go the extra mile
- Prepare ingredients with the utmost care and respect
- Prepare meals during service to standard and on-time
- Uphold health & safety standards across the board
- Maintain a clean workspace at all times
- Support, coach and develop those you work with
- Submit ideas for menus, dishes, outlet concepts, etc.
- Assist with inventory and cost control systems
- Clean dishware and assist dishwashers when necessary
- Other duties as required
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum 1 year kitchen experience
- Exceptional time management
- Ability to work under pressure
- Smart Serve required
- Safe Food Handlers required
- Basic knowledge of food and beverage
- Exceptional hospitality mindset
- Effective communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to organize and plan
- Desire to be part of a team and contribute as such
- Must have an open availability including Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and evenings
- Continuous standing/walking for duration of shift
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Western Fair District is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Western Fair District provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, human resources will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.