WESTERN FAIR DISTRICT
Grounds and Landscaping Crew
Reports to: Grounds and Landscaping Supervisor
Performs general landscape and garden maintenance duties.
Operates related equipment.
- Water lawns, trees and plants using portable sprinkler systems, hoses or watering cans.
- Care for established flower beds by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing and removing thatch and trimming and edging around flower beds, walks and walls.
- Mow and edge lawns, using power mowers and edgers.
- Operates vehicles, mechanical devices and equipment – running, maneuvering, navigating or driving vehicles such as pickup trucks and lawn mowers
- Plant seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, ground covers, trees and shrubs and apply mulch for protection, using gardening tools.
- Gather and remove litter from parking lots and grounds.
- Trim and pick flowers and clean flower beds.
- Performs general physical activities – requires considerable use of arms and legs and moving whole body such as climbing, lifting balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Cleans the grounds as required.
- Salting and plowing of parking lots in winter months
- May support racetrack maintenance crew with preparation of racetrack during heavy snow accumulation
- Maintain WFD logbooks - winter maintenance, underground services maintenance, equipment and vehicle log
- Performs minor equipment maintenance and reports more serious problems to Supervisor.
- May assist in other labour tasks such as setup for events, moving barricades, portable booths, walls, etc.
- Compost and Wormery duties as assigned
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work under little to no supervision
- Ability to work in a team environment, remaining attentive to ideas, recognizing responsibilities, and actively participating with others to accomplish assignments and achieve desired goals
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid G driver’s license with clean abstract – Class D an asset
- Minimum two (2) years working experience associated with snow removal for industrial and commercial properties
- Minimum two (2) years working experience with loaders, tractors, dump trucks and plowing
- In-depth understanding of equipment operation and hydraulic accessories
Work is performed while standing, sitting, or walking
Continuous bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching
- Regular lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of medium weights up to 50 lbs
- Environment - moving machinery, exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity, possible exposure to dust and dirt
This position requires a flexible work schedule as hours will vary in winter months depending on snowfall.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Western Fair District is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Western Fair District provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, human resources will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.