We’re Hiring: Community Engagement Coordinator
Get to Know Western Fair District:
Through its people, facilities and events, Western Fair District (WFD) is a leading year-round agri-food organization, focusing on community, agri-food industry supports and education, the annual fair, consumer/trade events, horse-racing, and entertainment & recreation for residents of the city and far beyond.
The District is a unique, multi-faceted, historic, and community-based, not for profit, in the heart of Old East Village, in London, Ontario. It offers several complexes onsite, providing many unique activities all of which have a major impact on the local economy, and contribute to our community in a wide variety of ways. The annual Western Fair is near and dear to the community and is the Association’s signature event, popular consumer/trade shows make their home in the Agriplex, a first-class harness horse racetrack, award winning Farmer’s and Artisan’s Market, industry leading Sports Centre, great dining & banquet facilities embracing local food and drink, a new vermiculture centre called The Wormery, and an agri-food business and resource hub fondly known as The Grove.
Our tight-knit team is creative and passionate, and regularly interacts with one another to create high-quality experiences in several business units. As a not-for-profit Association, with deep roots in agriculture and community, WFD has evolved over a century-and-a-half because of its dedicated team culture, committed to honouring tradition, while continually innovating and evolving to meet the needs of the agriculture industry and the communities we serve.
What we are looking for:
We are currently seeking a fun, outgoing, & detail-oriented Community Engagement Coordinator, with proven event planning and supervisory skills. Our ideal candidate displays a high level of professionalism, while demonstrating strong communication and customer service skills.
The Community Engagement Coordinator reports directly to the Community Engagement Manager and is responsible for capitalizing on key opportunities in the community to raise the profile of the WFD. The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for guest experience/service and supervising staff who support this service area when required, as well as community engagement initiatives tied to the organization’s strategic priorities and related activities. The role develops positive, on-going relationships and programs with local businesses, community organizations, customers and exhibitors on behalf of Western Fair District. Relationship and program development will focus on (but is not limited to) the areas of guest service/relations, membership, volunteers, annual fair community showcase and competitions, community organizations and non-profits. The Community Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for managing community profile assignments during the year throughout various areas of WFD and its business units. The position also requires a strong communicator to message both internal and external communities on the Association’s engagement efforts.
Responsibilities of the Community Engagement Coordinator:
- Organize and deliver Community Showcase displays, booths, events during the annual Western Fair.
- Organize and deliver annual fair competitions, prize list, judging, displays and database. Fair experience an asset but not required.
- Develop and/or coordinate community engagement projects/events.
- Administers Community Donation Committee and coordinates donation objectives.
- Supports Community Engagement Manager with Volunteer activities and opportunities onsite, as well as membership engagement initiatives.
- Develops and maintains internal and external communication channels as relates to community engagement.
- Ensures that all areas of the Association are kept informed of community objectives and opportunities.
- Stays connected with external audiences through corporate website, social media channels, Community Board and Committee participation, etc.
Customer Service/Guest Experience:
- Provides service and communication to WFA customers in person, through emails, phone calls, website, and social media. Supervision of additional customer service staff throughout the year, as required.
- Post-Secondary Education in related field.
- 1-2 years related work experience.
- Event and/or fair competition experience preferred.
- Supervisory skills/experience.
- Proven event planning skills
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Professionalism and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a team and build positive internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated computer skills in MS Office.
- Hours of work are based on 40 hours per week, typically a Monday – Friday however there are times that the successful candidate will need to work a flexible work schedule including evening and weekend work.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to Human Resources at Western Fair District.
Why Join us
Be a part of one-of-a-kind exciting projects, working for a Not-for-Profit Agricultural Society that reinvests in its people and our community… all while having a little bit of fun!
We are a not-for-profit Agricultural Society that has deep roots in the City of London and southwestern Ontario. The ‘District’ is committed to providing experiences that enrich your life and the community and as part of our “not-for-profit” status, we reinvest our revenue surpluses into our staff, our facilities, and programming to meet the needs of our community. We give our employees the opportunity to grow professionally, and personally all while being a part of a team that is…
- Commitment to professional growth and development through training opportunities
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible work arrangements
- Engagement events
- Extended Health Benefits*
- Yearly fitness credit*
- Employer-matched defined-contribution pension program*
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
* For eligible employees
We’re over 150 years strong, and we traditionally acknowledge and share our thanks with our long service employees. Reward levels begin at 10 years and move up in 5-year increments. Employees of all service levels are significant, and we can say we have celebrated 30, 40, and 50-year service employees! Yes, that’s right!
Employees are encouraged to ask questions and be empowered to make decisions. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to create a stimulating and open workplace that promotes teamwork, fairness, respect, and diversity.
We also provide accommodations to employees with special needs. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, we will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant’s accommodation needs.
From the beginning, we’ve brought people and communities together to celebrate what life has to offer. Agri-food, our community, and sustainability are all important parts of our past, present, and future. Our Change for Change program allows employees to donate a portion of their paycheck to their charity of choice, which we then match in contribution. One of our sustainability projects is The Wormery, it utilizes green waste, reduces emissions, and creates a natural fertilizer that promotes plant growth. Learn about The Wormery here
We invest in the development and growth of thousands of youth, students, local artists, performers, and athletes annually through various programs and facilities. (e.g. Rise2Fame, Learn To Skate, School Agri-Food Education, Day of Dreams, and more.)
CAP is our Community Access Program that makes a small difference in the lives of individuals and families who cannot access entertainment or events without a support person or are living on fixed incomes.
Our Donation Committee supports hundreds of local/regional non-profit organizations with donations, silent auction items, and gift cards to help them raise funds for the individual causes, for the betterment of the communities we serve.
We are committed to corporate social responsibility and is one of our strategic initiatives.