Western Fair District is a not-for-profit agricultural Association that has evolved over a century-and-a-half to a multi-faceted event centre which includes agriculture, education, sports, entertainment, music, and shopping. Today, everything from the annual fall fair, consumer and trade shows, dining, meeting and banquet facilities, to The Raceway, The Market, Yuk Yuk’s Comedy Club, The Grove, Agriplex and Sports Centre, make us a prominent year-round entertainment, education and recreation destination.
Western Fair Association is searching for a trailblazer who is passionate about agriculture, has cultivated industry and community stakeholder relationships in agriculture and has the ability to innovate and take our agri-food program development to the next level.
The Agri-Food Supervisor will excel in fostering new agri-food opportunities, partnerships, and programming initiatives. Our ideal candidate will have the capacity to build upon our current agricultural strategy ensuring education integration across the Western Fair District spectrum.
Western Fair Association, has a small, strong, creative, and passionate workforce, who regularly interact with one another to create high-quality experiences in a number of business areas. As a not-for-profit Association, with deep roots in agriculture and community, we have evolved over a century-and-a-half, with a survivor spirit and team culture, committed to honouring tradition, while continually innovating and evolving to meet the needs of the agriculture industry and the communities we serve.
The Grove, launched in 2019 as part of a re-envisioned, agriculturally focused, business strategy of the Association, is an agribusiness hub where participants share resources, space, and connections to create the right conditions for innovation, education, and growth. The Agri-Food Supervisor will be key to supporting the Grove’s tenants as well as its education goals. Along with this important business unit you will also support the District’s efforts to promote the agriculture industry to the public, through the development of urban and rural relationships, development of on-site and virtual agriculture education initiatives, animal welfare initiatives/protocols, and communicating the District’s agri-food story to the public at-large.
You will work for an Association located in the heart of the City of London, serving a broad spectrum of customers across southwestern Ontario. Day to day your role will be committed to providing enriching agri-food education and experiences, that bridge urban and rural, local, provincial and national. The Agri-Food Supervisor, will report to the Program and Development Manager of the Grove, and will find themselves working closely with an eclectic, hard-working, fun-loving, dedicated team across the District.
Responsibilities of the Agri-Food Supervisor:
· Promotion of Western Fair District as a leading Agriculture Society supporting the Agriculture community with programming and facilities that help meet the needs of the industry.
· Sharing the Association’s agricultural story with our community through public presentations, communications and social media efforts.
· From time to time develops The Grove’s promotion booth and participates in key WFD/third party, agricultural/livestock shows/events.
· From time to time provides agricultural media/interviews.
· Reporting to The Grove’s Programming and Development Manager, you will liaise with and coordinate the administration of potential and current agri-business tenants at The Grove.
· You will develop live digital streaming and online programming to deliver Grove 365 agri-food educational content for The Grove’s digital resource/education hub which includes a number of online series that compliment WFA’s live agri-food education initiatives.
· Grove Live and Grove 365 content: Agri- Food Week (live/virtual), Dish on Food (live/virtual), School Tours (live/virtual), Urban Ag (virtual) , Farm Show Connect (virtual), Engage Poultry (virtual) and new digital content as requested to support the educational pillar of The Grove.
· Relationship development and procurement initiatives with local farms and small producers to support on-site local food and beverage procurement.
· You will support the coordination and care of livestock for education and exhibition purposes
· You will be responsible for animal welfare and traceability protocols for the annual fair, school tours, Agri-Food Week, Growing Chefs partnership and more.
· Oversite and coordination of Urban Farm/Teaching Garden and its marketing, purchasing/procurement agreements & programming.
· Oversite and coordination of The Wormery, a social enterprise initiative of WFA and The Grove.
· Maintain logs, files and databases both computer based and print as required.
· Continue the development of innovative educational experiences for today’s consumer through Growing Chefs partnership.
· Liaises with other agricultural organizations and representatives on behalf of WFA and The Grove.
· Must comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Western Fair District Health & Safety Policy and Awareness Program/Safety Manual, all Western Fair District procedures and any other applicable legislation.
· Works closely with the Director of Agriculture, Grove Manager, Fair Manager, Agriplex Manager, Food and Beverage Manager
· Performs related duties as assigned.
· Weekend and evening work required from time to time. On-site for all owned and operated shows during set-up/show hours/take-down
Skills and Qualifications:
· University graduate in Agriculture or two year college diploma in related Agriculture program
· Comprehensive knowledge of the agriculture sector
· 3-4 years of work experience an asset
· Emotional Intelligence an asset. Customer Service and Relationship Building skills are a must to be successful in the role.
· Skilled in event operation.
· Sales experience would be an asset.
· Not afraid of hard work as the role is labour intensive at times when agricultural events are being developed and delivered.
· Excellent Time management, organization and communication skills
Deadline to apply is May 20, 2021
If you’re interested, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com