Chef de Cuisine
About Food & Beverage at The Western Fair District
The Western Fair District is evolving its Food & Beverage program in a big way. Being an agricultural society, we are going back to our roots and are focusing on fresh, local, seasonal cuisine. This is your chance to be part of something big. We’re looking to re-invent our food & beverage outlets, open new concepts and create unique, genuine experiences for our guests through the lens of hospitality.
If you’d like to work in a kitchen where you’re expected to use the best local ingredients you can find and to work directly with farmers and local food producers, then this is the job for you. We are in the infancy of our evolution, and we are looking for strong, experienced, talented leaders to be part of that evolution. This is a great opportunity for an ambitious creative chef to help create unique dining destinations and unmatched hospitality experiences.
The Western Fair District is home to hundreds of food and beverage events each year. From Friday night at the races, and a local-focused farmer’s market cafe, to our annual Western Fair & Midway and a Four-Rink Sports Centre hosting international events, we do it all and we’re focused on doing even more. This is a great opportunity to be part of the team driving that change in a multi-outlet food and beverage organization contributing hundreds of millions of dollars in economic impact in the City of London.
- A natural-born leader who grabs the bulls by the horns.
- A person who ‘gets things done’ and asks for help when you need it.
- You believe the kitchen is at its best when you’re there.
- You are organized, you like systems, standards, and rules.
- You believe that hard work breeds success.
- You embrace technology and are comfortable learning and using a variety of PC applications.
About the Chef de Cuisine Role
This is a senior management position within food and beverage requiring time spent in-kitchen as well as administrative, planning, and financial accountabilities. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Part of the F&B Senior leadership team at The Western Fair District.
- Kitchen second in command, reporting directly to the Executive Head Chef.
- Maintain impeccably clean kitchens and enforce health, safety, and wellness standards.
- Manage a team of District Sous Chefs, line cooks, prep cooks and dishwashers.
- Assist in menu creation, recipe development and product launches.
- Have a hand in developing, planning, and executing new food & beverage outlet concepts.
- Oversees the day to day operations of all food-services across the district.
- Including daily/weekly prep, par levels, kitchen assignments, floor to ceiling cleanliness, outlet operations during service, ordering and inventory control.
- Develop, implement, and maintain standards, checklists, policies, and procedures.
- Responsible for financial results, driving business and increasing guest counts in outlets.
- Manage kitchen software systems including point-of-sale and inventory control software.
- Train, develop and mentor the skills and talents of all BOH staff members alongside F&B management team.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive wages
- Food & beverage discounts
- Comprehensive benefits package for full-time staff
- Ongoing training and development
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years experience working in kitchens.
- Kitchens with a focus on fresh, local, from-scratch cooking an asset.
- Minimum 2 years management experience.
- Culinary-related diploma, cook’s trade certification, or equivalent training and experience are required.
- Proficient with spreadsheets, word processors and PC file systems.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Willing to work all shifts, including some evenings and weekends (range of opens, mids and closing shifts).
- Experience using/managing inventory control software and POS software an asset.