Queen’s Park Redevelopment Committee has a long term plan to refurbish the park and the old gate was not part of that plan. The hope was to use the original Queen’s Park entrance off of Dundas Street for this year’s annual Fair. This location was the first gate to the fair which was enhanced a few years back by the City, with a new walkway, flower beds and tree plantings. The newly refurbished 1902 Arts Building in Queens Park is located next to this entrance and at the appropriate time in the future a new fair/park gateway will be built on that historic location.
The most significant historical piece of the fair gate was the old electrified signage itself, which Western Fair District removed and stored on site, prior to dismantling the structure. You’ll be happy to know that at the appropriate time in the future, WFD will restore the vintage letters and remount them for public display. This effort will preserve a small piece of the Western Fair’s past, maintain an authentic sample of post-war signage and conserve a lit landmark that we were happy to read means so much to so many.