Fairgoers LOVE animals and animals are an important part of the Fair.
Western Fair organizers pull together barnyard favourites, exotic species, captivating canines, educational agri-programming, live animal birthing centre and of course a ton of fun…all for you…because this is your Fair!
Western Fair, who is recognized in the industry for its award winning agricultural programming, strives to educate audiences of all ages, bridging the urban/rural gap. Animal and farming exhibits will be hard to miss at this year’s fair. Look for the big red barn entrance to the park, near the King Street gate, as well as a series of tents, barns and venues within the Down on the Farm attraction, growing the number of animals and increasing the size of displays available outdoors.
NEW Agricultural Attractions:
- Growing Chefs- For those who like to learn new recipes using local food, the Progress Building will present Growing Chefs Ontario, a registered charity based in London, Ontario that “unites chefs, growers, educators and community members in several children’s food education projects”. Two, daily demonstrations weekdays, and four per day on weekends will focus on learning how to make salsa using only local ingredients…except the lime! Learn a new and delicious recipe that supports local farmers with take-home samples available for your family to enjoy!
- Cowboy Fred – Has a brand new exciting, interactive message for folks touring the Down on the Farm attraction. Cowboy Fred is the voice of agriculture and his passionate 20 minute show educates people on all the farm animals, at the fair, and their significance to Canadian agriculture.
- Antique Tractors- Hop in our time machine and take a trip back to days gone by when farming required real horse power, and tractors were transforming the work and yields of farming operations. It’s amazing for spectators to see how and what ploughed, sowed and harvested the food that fed the generations before them. How far we have come!
- Walk of Agriculture- Outdoors and Bigger & Better! You’ll be blown away by this IAFE (International Association of Fairs & Expositions) award winning display! Specializing in crops of Southwestern Ontario, planting to harvest process and sustainable energy. Look for the large grain bin in the park!
- 8-Horse Clydesdale Hitch- The true meaning of Horse Power will be on display starting September 8 – 14. The 8-Horse Clydesdale Team will demonstrate the process of hitching daily in the park and new this year, will parade through Down on the Farm, daily, to showcase their power, beauty and skill to fairgoers.
- Little Tracks Petting Zoo- Big kids or small kids, everyone loves to visit the petting zoo. This year you can enjoy the company of goats, sheep, ducks, chickens, rabbits, alpaca, miniature donkey and pony, Emu and Mini Zebu Cattle.
- Bird Display - If you love birds, check out his feathered spectacle that includes peacocks, pheasants and more!
Much loved attractions are back:
- 4-H Shows- Come out and watch the farmers of tomorrow show their animals, including beef cattle, dairy cattle and sheep. First weekend of the fair dedicated to our youth in agriculture!
- Maternity Pens- See your favourite newborn barnyard animals, from cow and calf to sheep and lamb, fairgoers can experience the miracle of life on the farm.
- Milking Parlour- Ever wonder what it’s like to milk a cow? Come see the live milking demonstrations and have all your questions answered!
- Magic Bean – Is an educational attraction in the park that brings the many aspects of agriculture to life in fun and creative ways!
- Fancy Fowl Tent- Take a peek at the various species of Fancy Fowl and view first-hand, live incubation. Watch eggs hatching right before your eyes!
- School Tours - Provide a fresh, entertaining and educational experience for 1,500 Middlesex area students (Grades 3 through 6) who visit the interactive Agricultural Places of Discovery with an expert who informs, involves and inspires young visitors.
- Kid Pedal Tractor Races - Ride a modified mini tractor and pedal hard and fast down a straight track while our energetic commentator gets peddlers and the crowd fired up! The longest pulls wins. Tons of fun!